Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hi. My name is Liz and I am a nerd mom.

I have to admit something, I was in denial about my nerdiness for quite some time. It occurred during the playful years after I discovered makeup and before I found the Love of my Life. In desperate attempts to obtain and keep boyfriends, I hushed my obsession with Lord of the Rings and often neglected to mention the little fact that I was raised on Star Wars and Fifth Element. I continued to embrace however, the drama nerd in me by taking part in whatever performance arts opportunity came my way.
 I entered the theater world at BYU and discovered how big of a challenge it actually was to learn to become an academic actor. Then Dave came into my life. He was cute and funny and passed all of my tests for dating suitability: liked the movie "Kung Pow", enjoyed Martial Arts films, and not only had seen the animated series of "The Tick", but owned several comic books of it. In a year we were married, and he began to work his nerdy magic on me, causing me to peel layer after layer of shallow covering to reveal the Nerd Within. 3 1/2 years and two kids later, we're about to buy supplies to paint pewter figures for Savage Worlds and Dungeons and Dragons, and he tells me "You're about to plunge into being way nerdier." And I did so, happily.
So here it is, a list of a few of the epicly awesome things I love.
Doctor Who, the more recent series
J. R. R. Tolkien
Steam Punk novels
Firefly
Dungeons and Dragons
Savage Worlds
The IT Crowd
Fantasy novels
The original Star Wars
Neil Gaiman
BBC's Merlin
Fables (graphic novels)
Hellboy, the movies, the books, the graphic novels, the comics, everything.
Angel (yes the vampire, shut up!)
Miyazaki films

My name is Liz. And I am a nerd mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment